3 kg Lamb Shoulder
2.5 Lt. Chicken Stock
1/4 cup toasted pistachio
1/2 pomegranate (seeds taken out)
small bunch mint
small bunch coriander
small bunch parsley
Persian Herb Rub
8 cloves garlic
1 red chilli
1 pinch saffron
1 small bunch thyme
2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
1 tablespoon sumac
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- Preheat BeefEater Signature 2000 to 140 °C
- Blend all the ingredients of the Persian herb rub until smooth.
- Heat a pan up on the stove, when hot put the lemon into it a char the flesh side of the lemon till caramelised and set aside.
- Season the lamb shoulder with salt and pepper and seal the shoulder till golden brown on the BBQ all over and then place in a deep oven tray with the fat facing upwards.
- Put the Persian lamb rub into the pan and cook for 1 minute until fragrant and add the chicken stock to the pan and stir until all combined.
- Pour over the sealed lamb shoulder then cover with tin foil.
- Place in the BBQ for 3 hours or until lamb is very tender and soft.
- Meanwhile- roast the pistachios for 8 minutes and roughly chop.
- Tap all the seeds out of the pomegranate and set aside.
- Wash all the herbs.
- Once the lamb is tender turn the BBQ up to 210°C and take the tin foil of and cook for a further 20 minutes until the fat is rendered and golden brown.
Lift the shoulder out of the stock gently and place it on another tray and cover with tin foil to keep warm.
Pour the remaining stock from the tray into a saucepan and reduce to a sauce consistency for about 10 minutes.
To serve, place the lamb shoulder onto a large platter with a rim on it, pour the sauce over the lamb, dress the herb salad with olive oil and salt ,make a small mound of the herb salad the middle of the cooked shoulder and then sprinkle the toasted pistachio and pomegranate over the whole dish.
Place the grilled lemon next to the herbs
Serve with rice, Cous Cous or your favourite mix of grains. Serves 6-8
Cooked on the BeefEater Signature 2000 Series
Australian Chef and BeefEater Ambassador, Scott Bridger shares his ultimate summer BBQ backyard menu so you can nail your next summer get together and wow your guests with mouth-watering food straight from the grill.