- 250g peeled and coarsely grated kumera
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- ½ teaspoon of of salt
- 1½ to 2 cups of milk
- vegetable oil for frying
Tea smoked cobia
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 250g skinless cobia fillet (salmon, kingfish, Blue Eye trevella are good substitutes)
- 100g of rice
- 50g of Jasmine tea
- 50g of brown sugar
Ingredients to complete the dish
- ¼ bunch of chives
- ¼ bunch of parsley
- 250ml of crème fraiche
- Wrap the kumera in a tea towel and squeeze as much of the moisture out as possible.
- Combine the flour, mustard powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the kumera and mix to combine the ingredients.
- Slowly mix in the milk until you have a nice batter consistency.
- Allow the batter to rest for 15 minutes before frying.
- Turn the BeefEater® BUGG® to medium heat.
- Once hot place a Teflon sheet on top of the cooking surface.
- Spray with olive oil then spoon tablespoons of kumera fritter mixture onto the sheet and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn the fritters over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Repeat this process until you have used all of the batter.
Tea smoked cobia
- Combine the salt and the brown sugar in a bowl.
- Place the fish in the bowl and coat it well with the mixture.
- Place the fish in the fridge to marinate for 1 hour.
- To cook remove the fish from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Turn one burner of the BUGG® up to a high heat.
- Place a Teflon sheet on this end of the cooking surface then scatter the tea and sugar mixture over the Teflon sheet.
- Close the lid and let the tea smoke.
- After 5 minutes place the fish on another Teflon sheet at the other end of the cooking surface (the end with no direct heat) and smoke for 5 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the BUGG and allow to cool.
- Once cool slice the fillet into fine pieces approximately 2 mm wide.
To assemble the kumera pancakes
- Place the pancakes on a tray.
- Place a dollop of crème fraiche on top of each pancake then arrange a piece of smoked fish on top of the crème.
- Squeeze a drop of lemon and a drop of olive oil over the fish.
- Finally garnish with the chives and parsley.